I just came across these Save and Restore Safari URLs AppleScripts, and it made me kind of cranky, because this was totally something I was planning on doing.
My original version of the idea sometime last year was to write a script that would back up my open OmniWeb windows to an OmniOutliner document. I gave up on that idea when it became apparent how much OmniOutliner’s URL handling doesn’t just suck, but is completely non-existant. I could have written a “restore from OmniOutliner” script, but then there would have been no point of storing it in an OmniOutliner document in the first place: The reason I wanted to store it there was because I wanted to be able to use the checking and grouping features of OmniOutliner. Then I forgot about the idea for awhile.
When Safari came out, lots of people started posting Safari AppleScripts, and I remembered my earlier idea. But this time, I came up with a new storage mechanism: Wouldn’t it be neat if I could just make a “sessions” bookmark folder with subfolders for each “backup?” There were a few other details I don’t really feel like explaining, but it was pretty cool in my head.
Well, that idea too was dashed to a halt when I actually started writing the scripts, only to discover that bookmarks in Safari aren’t (yet?) scriptable. Blah.
So I left the skeletons of the scripts I’d written sitting there in my home directory until such a time as bookmarks in Safari were scriptable, or until I got motivated to use a file… until I saw those scripts today, and now I’m just kinda bummed. It’s not like I could have charged for the scripts or anything, but I’m just kind of put out that I just didn’t bite the bullet and use a file in the first place. I wanted the practice, and I guess I kind of wanted some sort of recognition… I wish I could just get motivated to develop something as some sort of first step to developing more full featured Mac software.
Sure there were my headless iTunes scripts, but I didn’t exactly keep them up to date or even package them in any reasonable way, and really, PTHiTunesNotifier is exactly what I wish I’d written. It has most of the features I couldn’t implement in AppleScript, though it doesn’t have all of the features of my scripts. Oh well. I’m thinking about writing them and seeing if they’ll give me a pointer (in particular, I’d like to know what mechanism they’re using to know when a song changes, and what mechanism they’re using to display the transpent overlay), but I’m kind of pessimistic about the chances of that happening. Then again, I should just write some simple useless apps before I worry about the details of how the transparencies are implemented.