This all started because I was getting violently sick of my old background color (#ffffcc, for those of you playing along at home), and I figured I could change it to white (#ffffff =p) without disrupting things too much.
But when I made the background white, everything started to blur together, because the backgrounds on my posts were white to contrast against the formerly creamy color of the page... So I decided I needed a vertical stripe to separate the posts from the sidebar.
Now, I've always been a big fan of vertical stripes, but with html it's easier said than done. So I grabbed the first site I could think of with a vertical stripe (which happened to have been AJ's) and pulled the code and images straight from there, which explains the dotted line as opposed to a solid line.
But then I felt off balance, and I've been toying with the idea of adding another column for a long time anyway (because that damn date navigation is *really* long), so I added it, and now the whole thing is nice and symmetrical, and for the moment, I like it.
I actually really like the dotted lines, and assuming AJ doesn't object, I'm going to leave them there for now. However, I'm also thinking about changing the green soon, because I don't even know how old that color is or why I have that green.
Later: So I decided that with the symmetry the lines provided, I wanted the green bars to come closer to being evenly spaced on each side, which meant I had to alter the comment links some. And that got into issues of having the colored dot load on a background the future color of which I'm not certain...
So I just made the comment widget text yellow and extended the green background, but changed the permalink/recency indicator to be a colored arrow at the beginning of the text. I like the way it looks, but I'm not entirely happy with the implementation at the moment. First of all, I was having some CSS issues so I had to give up and wrap the arrows in colored font tags. And the second problem is that posts that don't start with a <P> tag at the beginning (Of which there are 58, according to a quick check via SQL) won't get arrows put in correctly. But aside from those implementational issues, and the still standing puke green issue, I like it.
Oh, I also made the title bar truncate seconds from the post date, since they're useless. Hopefully the dates will be a little easier to read now that there are two fewer numbers there in that bar.